Copy with Base-Point

have you ever needed to copy an object from drawing to drawing but were annoyed with not being able to specify a basepoint? Well you probably used CTRL+C to copy and CTRL+V to paste, right?

Try using CTRL+SHIFT+C to copy.
It will ask you to specify a basepoint, then ask you to select the objects then hit enter. Or
Select the objects first then CTRL+SHIFT+C then specify the basepoint.

Now when you do a CTRL+SHIFT+V, you can snap your copied object.

Advertisements

About AutoCAD Tips

This blog serves as a knowledge base for myself (and anyone else) so that I can reference tips & tricks that I have learned and also refer others to it as well. I hope that this blog helps you learn at least one tip to make your drafting/design experience better.
This entry was posted in BASICS, Modifying, TIPS. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Copy with Base-Point

1. Dan says:

The problem we are having with this command is it kicks in autosave every time we run the command. Can the autosave be turned off when using this command?

• AutoCAD Tips says:

I don’t know how to do anything to native commands but this little snippet can be added to LISP routines so that the autosave function doesn’t mess you up while in the middle of a routine:
      ;;; For long routines. While in a routine that takes a long time, the autosave feature may come on and jack things up
      ;;; Simply change the autosave feature's variable at the beginning and then turn it back on at the end of the routine
      ;
      (setq savetime (getvar 'savetime))
      (setvar 'savetime 0)

;........

;; At the end of your routine reset the system variable as it was set before invoking the routine

(setvar 'savetime savetime)

2. pringlettuce says:

Saves a lot of trouble. Wish I had discovered this 3 years ago. Thanks very much!!

3. Josie says:

Sorry for my ignorance but how do you add the above to LISP routine so that the autosave function doesn’t invoke in the middle of a routine?

4. Steven says:

Lately when I have been using this command, it is copying with the base point but when I go to past it into another drawing the objects do not show up. But if I do a block insert after hitting Ctrl+V it is there and I can insert that way.

• AutoCAD Tips says:

It kind of makes sense.

The block is defined in the new drawing after you do the CTRL+C but i don’t understand why it wont let you place the block. Have you tried using CTRL+SHIT+V after using CTRL+SHIFT+C? If you have 2 separate drawings open, you can simply drag & drop from one drawing into the other and it will be defined in the drawing.

One thing I want to make clear is that when you use the CTRL+SHIFT+C and then specify a base point, is that the objects – whether they are separate objects or a block will become an “Anonymous” block. So after it is brought into your drawing, it should be exploded in order to have the same name as the drawing.
      ~GREG