This tip was tested and works with Windows Explorer and Google Chrome (and Microsoft Excel…)
To create a list of drawings, either for yourself or for a client, these steps can help save some time.
- Navigate to the folder in Windows Explorer
- Copy the folder location
- Paste the folder location into Google Chrome and press enter
- Note: I have not tried this with Firefox. I did try it with Internet Explorer and when I hit enter, it would open the folder location…
- Highlight the files as they are displayed in the browser and copy
- Paste the copied list of files into Excel in the upper left corner.
Note 1: After the initial spread sheet is created, you can add to this list by adding to the bottom row of the spreadsheet.
Note 2: You have 2 choices when Pasting the content
- “Keep Source Formatting” will also create a link to the individual files (could be handy)
- “Match Existing Formatting” will keep the formatting as simple text
After pasting the content into Excel, you may need to clean up some columns and rows… But this will save some time instead of manually creating a drawing list.