If you need to lengthen a line, especially if the line is at an angle other than horizontal or vertical, this command is for you. It will lengthen a line and keep it in the angles that it originally was. Usually, if you select a line that is at an angle and then click a grip to lengthen it, you will not be able to keep the angle. (Note: in AutoCAD 2012 select a line and then hover over and endpoint grip and you will see the option for LENGTHEN.)
- LENGTHEN <enter> or LEN <enter>
or on the ribbon:
- Home Tab > Modify Panel > Lengthen button (in the drop-down) as seen below.
- After starting the Lengthen command, notice that there are options in the command line.
- DY <enter> to star the “dynamic” function of the lengthen command.
- select the side of the line that you would like to lengthen or shorten.
- after selecting the line, move your cursor in the desired direction and either click to end the “lengthening” or enter a number.